Average reading time is about 5 and a half minutes
Some Christians teach that the Ten Commandments are a core part of the old covenant, which was abolished. Yet even though the Ten Commandments were indeed a commanded covenant, they did not constitute the old covenant that vanished away (Hebrews 8:13). Here are some reasons:
- The old covenant was faulty, had poor promises, and vanished away (Hebrews 8:7, 8, 13). None of those points apply to the perfect law of God (Psalm 19:7).
- The old covenant was made based on the Israelites’ promise to keep God’s commandments in their own strength (Exodus 24:7, 8). It was not the law itself.
- Referring to the Ten Commandments, God said to Moses, “According to the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel” (Exodus 34:27, 28). It was not the law itself but the promise to keep the law.
- Moses referred to the golden calf as “your sin, the calf which you had made” (Deuteronomy 9:21). The calf was not the sin, but the sin took place concerning the calf. In the same way, the old covenant was not the law, but it was concerning the law. Thus it is called the covenant.
- Romans 9:4 shows that the old and new covenants were different from the law itself: “… who are Israelites, to whom pertain the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the service of God, and the promises.” Here the law is listed, as well as the covenants (plural). This would include both old and new covenants, plus the “giving of the law,” which are the Ten Commandments.
- To demonstrate how the law is not the old covenant, let’s interchange some words in Romans 3:31 and see what happens: “Do we then make void the (old covenant) through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the (old covenant).” That obviously doesn’t make much sense, does it? Read Romans 3:31. May the Lord bless you on this day!
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
And he declared unto you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, even ten commandments; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone. Deuteronomy 4:13